Thursday, September 18, 2014

Breakfast in Raleigh: Boulted Bread

While Durham could be considered the bakery capital of the Triangle, Raleigh has a very promising newcomer that's risen onto the local bread landscape: Boulted Bread.

Originally only available for pick-up orders or at farmers markets, Boulted Bread now has a storefront location serving up coffee, fresh pastries, and of course, bread.

After reading this great Indy article about the trio who started the shop, I had to stop in and check out Boulted for myself. And what better time to visit a bakery than at breakfast?

Sunflowers and Dell Curry




Walking into Boulted, your eye is immediately grabbed by the front display case, which is overflowing with croissants (plain, savory and sweet) breakfast breads and all manner of delicious looking baked goods.

The majority of the store space is dedicated to the ovens and bakery gadgets in the back (including their own custom made stone mill, I mean how cool is that), but there are a few tables with seats to enjoy baked goods on site.

I really loved all the natural light that was streaming into the store front. It was solid proof that breakfast is best enjoyed with a heavy dose of sunrise.

And my oh my what a breakfast Boulted bakes up. I couldn't convince myself to order anything but the chocolate croissant, and it proved to be wise decision. Perfectly buttery and flakey, and filled with Escazu chocolate (another Raleigh original!), it was hands down one of the best croissants I've had in the Triangle.

My girlfriend got the savory croissant, with prosciutto and gruyere cheese. Based on her review, and a sample bite by me, Boulted knocked this one out of the park too.

I have yet to try a loaf of Boulted's bread but you can see all their loaf varieties, as well as their location and store hours, on their website. No question that'll be my next purchase here.... after a few more croissants.

No comments:

Post a Comment