Monday, December 22, 2014

Monuts Reopens in Durham


I would say like most breakfast-loving Durhamites, I had a love/hate reaction to the announcement that Monuts was temporarily closing while they moved from their original Parrish Street location to a new spot down on Ninth street.

I loved that the former doughnut cart had done so well in its first brick and mortar, it was able to spread its glazed, sesame sprinkled wings into a bigger space.

I hated that I'd be without their donuts for several weeks.

I loved that the new digs were breathing life into the former Magnolia Grill building, conjuring up delicious memories of a trendsetter in the now vibrant fine-dining scene in Durham.

I hated that I'd be without their donuts.

I loved the teasers they were dropping on social media of an expanded menu, with new offerings for breakfast, lunch, dinner and cocktail hour.

I hated... OK this is making me sound a bit doughnut obsessive.




But no sooner than I began to wallow in my own doughnut-less self pity, Monuts opened their newly polished doors for business: bigger and better than ever.

The difference in size between old and new is immediately evident. But while the Parrish Street storefront was short on standing space and seating capacity, the exposed brick walls and massive street-front window gave the spot a charmingly cozy feel that I feared would be lost in a square footage upgrade. 

My stop in for breakfast on opening week proved this worry to be misguided. Monuts has taken full advantage of the added space, while keeping alive the intimate community feel from their first storefront. 

String lights line the walls and ceiling. Large wooden booths, communal table and expansive bar invite hungry patrons to grab a seat and stay awhile. Donut-themed art and Children's book prints adorn the walls, while tiny plants and funky-fine china line the window sills. 

But what had me giddier than a 5 year old hopped up on an extra large chocolate glazed with sprinkles? The new Monuts menu

Now, in addition to the ever-changing donut selection and create-your-own bagel sandwich options, there's biscuits, there's salads, there's full plate entrees, there's daily soups, there's cocktails, there's draft beer. Doors are open 7 AM - 9 PM, and the first few weekends have even featured some awesome looking brunch specials

The expanded staff have had their hands full with the restaurant's early popularity (there's been a steady line stretched by the bar every time I've been in), but it moves quickly and all employees are just as friendly and welcoming as they were back on Parrish street (pro tip: if the line up front is too daunting, you can order food at the bar too. Go ahead and get a beer while you're at it...)

Welcome to my new obsession.

1 comment: