Thursday, May 29, 2014

Raleigh State Farmers Market

Full Disclosure: I already have a pretty major obsession with farmers markets.

The co-mingling of people, produce, baked goods, homemade jellies/jams/pickles, dogs and babies on a sunny Saturday morning never fails to put me in a great mood that can last an entire weekend. But while I've made many trips to the Carborro and Durham markets, I had yet to experience what NC's capital city market had to offer.

I'm happy to say I was not disappointed by my first visit there.

Shoppers peruse the array of fresh
fruits and vegetables
Being in the thick of strawberry season, it seemed like no matter where you turned there was somebody offering up a free strawberry. And I wasn't saying no. The melodious sound of "Y'all wanna try some strawberries?" rang out from seemingly every booth, as each basket glowed with red sweetness.


Past the tables selling strawberries and veggies was the baked goods/speciality vendors area. This included a counter stacked with bread from La Farm Bakery in Cary, a table offering samples of different salsas, hummus and dips, as well as my favorite discovery of the day: the Cookie People. Seriously, how could Cookie People not be people you want to buy something from? After seeing the various selection of massive cookies (3 for $5!) the cash practically leapt out from my wallet. I got the chocolate chip, chocolate peanut butter cup, and plain peanut butter. All were spectacular.


Another thing I love about farmers markets: eating at them. All that walking around and picking over fresh fruits and vegetables can work up quite the appetite. Rather than eat our weight in free strawberries, my girlfriend and I decided to wander across the street to the State Farmers Market Restaurant. This proved to be a great decision.

Just like the market, the restaurant is open 7 days a week and boasts a full menu of fresh, home-cooked meals that show off the seasonal bounty of the farmers who are selling just yards away. We were informed by our excellent waiter Phillip (who took a job there because one week he literally ate there everyday, and decided it only made sense to get an employee discount. You have to admire the logic) that weekends at the restaurant are busiest due to the increased number of vendors and shoppers visiting the market.

After glancing over the menu, there were so many things calling out to me. Do I get breakfast or lunch? Something where I can sample one of the ever changing seasonal side dishes? Go a la carte with a hodgepodge of everything that strikes my fancy? Such are the awesome dilemmas of the State Farmers Market Restaurant.

I ended up going with their fried chicken biscuit (there were also free biscuits brought out before the meal. I wanted more biscuit, so sue me) and a side of macaroni and cheese. Phillip informed me that the biscuit was about as big as your face, and Phillip doesn't lie. This thing was massive. Even better than staring at it in awe was biting into it, the flavors were incredible. The fried chicken was cooked perfectly, some of the best I've had in recent memory, and the biscuit was a soft and buttery thing of beauty.



The mac and cheese refused to play second fiddle. Warm, gooey and just the right amount of cheesy, I almost had to pinch myself between bites to see if I had somehow passed out and slipped into an amazing brunch daydream. 

Our bellies full, we happily wandered back outside into the Saturday morning sunshine, grocery bags overflowing with fresh produce, bread and cookies. 

I walked away fully validated in my love for farmers markets, and would highly recommend spending a weekend morning exploring the one that Raleigh has to offer.

1 comment: