Wednesday, April 30, 2014

FRESH. Ice Cream

I have a deep rooted attachment to ice cream.

According to family legend, a few days before I was born my mom polished off an entire pint of Rocky Road without batting an eye. I like to think that thanks to this ravenous pregnant appetite, my infant body developed an undeniable physiological need for ice cream, as if chocolate covered peanuts and marshmallow swirl now course through my veins alongside plasma and white blood cells.

I say all this to properly explain how excited I get at the prospect of eating ice cream, and how much MORE excited I get when I find a Triangle ice cream spot serving a quality product that's not only naturally made, but also locally sourced.

FRESH in Raleigh has me practically giddy.

Peanut. Butter. Cup.
Based off their website, FRESH serves hormone and antibiotic free frozen treats, with cream sourced from local farmers in central NC. All of their ice cream is made on site (including FRESH-ly baked waffle cones) and their menu of flavors is quite impressive.

In addition to the traditional scoop, they also offer ice cream cakes, sundaes, shakes and floats.

The set up of FRESH puts me to mind of Cook-Out (another fantastic establishment for ice cream concoctions) because it's walk up service only. They do have tables and chairs set up near the ordering window, so you can hang around and enjoy your ice cream for a while in nice weather (an activity that should become America's new national pastime).
Walk-up order window
at FRESH
On my recent visit, I went with the peanut butter cup, while my girlfriend opted for the brownie chocolate crunch.

The peanut butter cup was just sensational. As a HUGE fan of PB, I appreciated the flavors of real peanut butter alongside the tiny nuggets of peanut butter cups. The brownie chocolate crunch was great as well, a real treat for all the choco-holics out there.
Brownie Chocolate Crunch aka
Chocolate Lovers Dream
FRESH is without question a new favorite of mine, as I'm now anticipating strong ice cream cravings to manifest themselves anytime I'm on Glenwood Ave.

It is, after all, in my blood.

Where6033 Glenwood Avenue, Raleigh, NC
Hours: Monday - Thursday, Noon - 10 PM
Friday - Saturday, Noon - 10:30 PM
Sunday, Noon - 10 PM
http://www.freshlocalicecream.com/index.html


No comments:

Post a Comment